As a backend web development intern, you can expect to learn about:
- Write abstract innovative code, while still being ready to learn and adopt new ways of problem-solving.
- Building e-commerce platforms, social media applications, e-mail blast systems, and AJAX-oriented interfaces.
- Work closely with both the front end and backend development teams (of up to 4 people) on projects, in order to ensure integration with the backend of all the moving parts in a project.
- Developing and programming in PHP/MYSQL and some PERL to maintain existing systems such as CMS, Google Analytics, Statistics reporting/logging systems, and client reporting tools.
- Assisting in maintaining several large networks of GNU/Linux-based application, database, and development servers based on our own proprietary API, Bureau™.
- Maintain and evolve our strict documentation and guidelines of our Bureau API system. Working with CMS and MVC frameworks.
We do need you to have:
- Unwavering attention to detail and excellent organization skills—this will be key to learning and growing in our fast-paced fun environment.
- Knowledge of Object Oriented as well as MVC concepts to develop modules of code with High Cohesion and Low Coupling.
- Some experience writing, profiling, and optimizing MySQL queries.
- Experience with debugging software methodologies and problem solving techniques.
- Good or basic knowledge in integrating and working with provided XHTML/HTML.
- Good or basic knowledge of using industry-cool web dev apps: Coda, Espresso, Forklift (or equivalent).
- Some understanding of usability and accessibility guidelines.
- Some experience in current web technologies and understanding differences and limitations with such technologies.
- Knowledge of HTML5 and mobile is a big plus (also a plus if youre interested to learn!). Other languages are welcome.
If possible, please send (a link to) your portfolio of your best work (including your role and a brief description of the project) and your current level experience, and what it is you aim to achieve out of an internship. We value your curiosity, willingness to learn, and open'mindedness rather than your credentials and experience.